Graduation’s been a week ago, and less than exactly a week, I am BACK TO SCHOOL again!! Well this time I went back to school as a new identity – no longer a student, but as a teacher who’s on contract teaching. (:
Details of my new school:
Posted to Chung Cheng High Yishun
Subjects to teach are math (any levels) and physics (well I got Sec 2 modular physics)
Summary of my 1st week in school:
Day 1-- I observed and went round answering questions in math classes that my supervisor is teaching. They are namely two Sec 1 (both NA and NT), one Sec 3 NA and one Sec 4 NT. (Oh yes, they are very “special” classes indeed.)
Day 2 – I was actually very overwhelmed by the amount of work that I was assigned because I heard that my supervisor is going to retire soon by the end of August. Which means that by then I AM suppose to take over all the four classes and TEACH!! I doubt myself is going to be prepared and teach effectively in all the four classes. So I was given my first task of setting both revision and test papers for one of the class. That was kinda challenging as I have to make sure what I set is in accordance to the syllabus and that the normal streams kids can understand and do without much difficulty. Still it was a fun process.
Day 3 and 4 – All the contract teachers in Singapore were sent for this programme, teaching preparatory programme (TPP). At the course, I got to understand that I am not alone left to face the very “special” kids from the normal streams. In fact nearly 90% of the teachers are in the same situation as me. The course instructor advised us to deal with classroom management first before staring on any teaching in class. This is because once a new teacher has built a certain degree of rapport and established connection with his students that he can successfully deliver his lessons without having to deal with class room discipline every other minute. This is certainly a must take course for all new teachers, whether untrained or not. Lastly, the programme gave me a lasting impression on the teaching profession, a teacher is someone who truly inspires and cares for the well being of his students.
Day 5 – Today I went to school with a totally feeling that I had in Day 1 and 2. I was quite surprised myself for the fact that I could face the class this time round, without much fear. In fact, I even sounded firm yet fair to the kids. There was a moment that I screamed at a boy in the class. I know being firm yet friendly to them in the long run isn’t easy, but as long as I am still a teacher, I am not going to let my kids give up. I sincerely hope that I will learn to love my job, the school and most importantly my kids asap.
Before I went back, I received an updated version of my time table, I am assigned to two Sec 2 express science and two normal academic math. The plan for next week is just to observe all the classes again, and start to write and prepare lessons to teach one of the math classes.
Whether I am going to remain teaching in this CCHY for 6 months or one year, I wish to learn as much as I can while I am a young teacher. Also I hope teaching shall remain my passion so I don’t need to consider a job switch in my near future. I enjoyed my stay thus far. Jia you to my fellow new teachers as well!!

Back to school…AGAIN!!!
Posted by xue_ling86 at 8:39 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
hmm... cchs yishun! yeah!
just love those metal buttons from the sch..
cos i'm from cchsm (the one at katong area)
robbie!
Post a Comment